Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is an important field within Geography, representing the intersection of geospatial data management, analysis, research, and visualization and mapping. Students who complete our certificate have acquired and honed their skills in fundamental GIS concepts, applications, analysis, and programming. The certificate is flexible in that students are provided with a core knowledge and can emphasize or blend GIS programming, geospatial visualization and analysis. The certificate may be acquired within the geography major but is also open to students in other programs, non-degree seeking students, or outside professionals who wish to add GIS capabilities to their present careers. A grade of at least B is required in every course counted toward the certificate.
Read more about careers in GIS here.
- GEOG 3500 Introduction to GIS
- GEOG 4560 Introduction to Python Progamming
Group 1 (choose 1):
- GEOG 4550 Advanced Geographic Information Systems
- GEOG 4590 Advanced GIS Programming
Group 2 (choose 2):
- GEOG 4525 Using LiDAR Data in GIS
- GEOG 4530 Digital Image Processing
- GEOG 4550 Advanced Geographic Information Systems (if not chosen in Group 1)
- GEOG 4570 Special Topics in GIS - Enterprise GIS
- GEOG 4590 Advanced GIS Programming (if not chosen in Group 1)
Learn more about GIS & Remote Sensing at UNT here.