Office: ENV 310C
- Political economy of climate change
- Geography of Capitalism and uneven development.
- Neoliberalism and corporate power
- Geography of governance, policy making and state-theory
- Political economy of nature and natural resources
Editorship and editorial board membership of academic journals:
- Managing editor of Human Geography
- Series coordinator of Radical Geography Book, a sub-series of Studies in Critical Social Sciences, published by Brill
- Editorial board member of ACME: An International Journal for Critical Geographies
- Editorial board member of Capitalism Nature Socialism
McCusker, B., W. Ahmed, M. Ramutsindela & P. Solis. 2021. The Routledge Handbook of Development and Environment. New York: Routledge.
Ahmed, W., A. Kundu & R. Peet. 2010. India's New Economic Policy: A Critical Analysis. New York and London: Routledge.
Ahmed, W. (forthcoming) Nurturing the production of nature. Human Geography. doi: 10.1177/19427786221105800.
Ahmed, W. (2022) Marxist geography: A personal journey. Human Geography, 15, 45-51.
Simon, J.-E. & W. Ahmed. 2021. Terra sacer: water infrastructure and core-periphery reconfiguration in Dallas/Fort Worth. In The Routledge Handbook of Development and Environment, eds. B. McCusker, W. Ahmed, M. Ramutsindela & P. Solis, 161-178. New York: Routledge.
Furtick, R. & W. Ahmed. 2021. Is this land made for you and me? In The Routledge Handbook of Development and Environment, eds. B. McCusker, W. Ahmed, M. Ramutsindela & P. Solis, 112-127. New York: Routledge.
Chatterjee, Ipsita and Ahmed, Waquar (2019), 'Dialectical materialism: Marx's method in human geography?', ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies, 18 (2), 364-93.
Ahmed, Waquar (2019), 'India has lost all moral authority and right over Kashmir', Human Geography, 12 (1), 79-81.
Ahmed, Waquar (2018), 'Governing foreign direct investment: post-Enron initiatives in India', Review of Radical Political Economics, 50 (1), 5-23.
Simon, James-Eric and Ahmed, Waquar (2018), 'The Promise of Progress: Modernity, Accumulation, and the Urbanization of North Texas Water in the 20th Century', Human Geography: A New Radical Journal, 11 (2), 19-34.
Ahmed, Waquar and Chatterjee, Ipsita (2016), 'Antinomies of the Indian State', in Alan Cafruny, Leila Simona Talani, and Gonzalo Pozo Martin (eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Critical International Political Economy (London: Palgrave Macmillan), 331-50.
Ahmed, Waquar (2014), 'The political economy and geopolitical context of India's economic crisis, 1990-91', Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 35 (2), 179-96.
Ahmed, Waquar (2012), 'From militant particularism to anti-neoliberalism? The anti-Enron movement in India', Antipode, 44 (4), 1059-80.
Ahmed, Waquar (2010), 'Neoliberalism, Corporations, and Power: Enron in India', Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 100, 621 - 39.
Selected Media Appearances:
- Russia's invasion of Ukraine on News 18 (televised on March 18, 2022)
- US Special Representative on Afghanistan Reconciliation, Zalmay Khalilzad's visit to India and the prospects of peace in Afghanistan on Voice of America (broadcast on September 23, 2020)
- Analysis of President Donald J Trump and Joseph R Biden as presidential candidates and their prospects for victory in the November elections on Voice of America (broadcast on September 22, 2020)
- Analysis of President Donald J Trump and Joseph R Biden as presidential candidates for November 2020 elections, impact of BLM and COVID19 on the election process on Voice of America (broadcast on July 23, 2020)
- Economic Geography (GEOG 3010)
- Capitalism, Nature and Climate Change/Critical Resource Geography (GEOG 4420/GEOG 5420)
- Geography of International Development (GEOG 4245/GEOG 5245)
- Foundations of Geographical Thought (GEOG 5160)
Ph.D., 2007 Geography, Clark University
M.Phil., 2002 Geography, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
M.A. 2000 Geography, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
B.Com (Hons.) 1995 Commerce, St. Xavier's College, University of Calcutta
Name of advisee
Year of graduation
|Behind the Curtain of Public Spaces: Revealing the Narratives of Corporate Street Hawking in Globalizing Accra||
|Women in Wrestling Arenas: How Globalization, Socially Produced Spaces and Commodification Impact their Portrayal and Empowerment Post Women's Revolution||
|The Political Economy of Retailing Sustainable Food: Green Consumerism and Sustainability||
|Andrew Hoyt||Seeds of disempowerment? Bt. cotton and accumulation by dispossession in India: a case study of Maharashtra, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh||2018|
|James-Eric Simon||Urban hydraulic rhizome: water appropriation and reproduction of space in North Texas||2017|
|Marinda Griffin||Reconstructing Identity with Urban Community Agriculture: How Refugees Confront Displacement, Food Insecurity, and Othering through Community Farming||2107|